a writer's block party

because sometimes I just can't turn the words off in my head...even if the words aren't for the next great american novel.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

10 Cats

Sometimes I don't get men. Okay, not all men. Just two men. Sometimes I don't get just two men that are supposed to be my friends.

First case, my friend from Elizabeth City. 53 years old and afraid of a commitment? Oy vey. Tick tock, tick tock, dude. And don't get me wrong, I didn't ask him for a one. (Commitment, I mean. Not a clock.) But I just think playing hard to get at 53 years old (or at any age really) seems sort of...silly. The whole push-pull of it all. Eeeks. To me? It feels like he's chasing ghosts. Keeping the options open. Or worst? Playing games. Okay, I admit, I love a rousing game of Crazy 8's. But I think that I am getting way too old and way too cranky to play games...especially with a 53 year old man who doesn't know what he wants. Or doesn't want.

Second case, a best friend from Greenville, SC. We have known each other for about 3 years. He's the one I call if I need to cry and Ilene is in a meeting. He's a great guy. Sensitive, smart, handsome. Tall. And although our friendship blurred the lines a little; thankfully, we ended up back as friends. We have always managed to stay honest. We prided ourselves on always telling the truth about our lives; the politics, the family, the dating (of other people). Or so I thought. I found out recently that he never told me the whole truth about the woman he now lives with (no, he's not gay) and that he never told her the whole truth about me (which clearly violated a 'having a best friend of the opposite sex rule').

What is it about men? Is honesty voluntary or selective with them? Do they pick and choose which days they will tell the truth? Hmmm. Let's see...Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday look good for telling the truth. Are men somehow exempt from the whole 'honesty is the best policy' thing? Sheesh. Look dude(s), just tell the truth. Let the chips fall where they may. Stand up and say it even if it might hurt the hell out of someone. Just say it. Just do it. Don't be a coward. Don't be a wuss. Just tell the truth. And yes, we might cry. But even if we cry, it's okay. Crying isn't some hormonal thing. It's crying. It's an expression of an emotion. We don't use it to manipulate your grand masculinity. We don't use it as leverage. No, we are crying because we FEEL something. Sadness. Anger. Disappointment. Something. Remember, we are crying because we feel something. We are not crying because we are weak, inferior or wrong.

So tell the truth already. Have some respect. Get it over with already. Rip the band aid off. And do the right thing.

Or not...because I guess it is Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home